Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

DOOMSTARKSbanner.jpg

MF DOOM + Ghostface is comin! first track's out:

Radiorip: DOOMSTARKS - Victory Laps (Madvillainz Remix)

Pusha-T.jpg

Trouble on my mind (stream) ...track's nice, i think Tyler took it but they both went in.

mixtapes:

ghostfunk_cover_web1.jpg

The genius behind both the Mos Dub and Dub Kweli projects is back once again, this time clutching some serious afro-funk blended with some classic Ghostface Killah a capellas. Check down bottom for tracklist and download link and give it a spin or two.

ghostfunk_back_cover_web.jpg

DL here

finally, it looks like Jay Electronica finally got his album put together, after sleeping on fans for years now:

Picture-1.pngPicture-2.pngPicture-3.png

trying out some more Aesop Rock (with mixed results)

That's pretty much how I feel about him. I'll catch something really clever (It's like sadly, my style spooks juveniles like Boo Radley) or a satisfying turn of phrase and get all excited for a minute, then it just sort of plays in the background for awhile.

What era are you listening to?

yeah, ive known a lotta dudes that adore aesop, and make faces when i say i can't get into it, partly because of the guy's voice.

i went with Labor Days but it's not sticking. i only chose that one because i really liked this track -

but it's not on this album. you know which one it is on? I wanna try that one, unless you got a better recommendation.

supposedly the leaked tracklist from Ye/Jay's Watch the Throne:

> 1.) No Church in The Wild (Feat. Frank Ocean)

> 2.) Lift Off (Feat. Beyoncé)

> 3.) Niggas in Paris

> 4.) Otis (Feat. Otis Redding)

> 5.) Gotta Have It

> 6.) New Day

> 7.) Prime Time

> 8.) Who Gon Stop Me

> 9.) Murder to Excellence

> 10.) Welcome to The Jungle

> 11.) Sweet Baby Jesus (Feat. Frank Ocean)

> 12.) Love You So (Feat. Mr Hudson)

> Bonus

> 13.) Illest Motherfucker Alive

> 14.) H*A*M

> 15.) That's My Bitch

> 16.) The Joy (Feat. Curtis Mayfield)

Frank Ocean makes me happy, Curtis + Otis...wow, this should be something.

VPgvn.png

speaking of current/forthcoming albums, there's a great list of shit dropping the rest of this year:

9th Wonder – The Wonder Years

Apathy – Honkey Kong

Apollo Brown & Hassaan Mackey – Daily Bread

Big K.R.I.T. – Live From The Underground

Black Rob - Game Tested, Streets Approved

Bodega Brovas – Loaded Guns & Alcohol

DJ Puerto-Roc & El Da Sensei – The Long Journey

DTMD – Makin’ Dollas

Evidence – Cats & Dogs

J. Cole – Cole World: The Sideline Story

Jay-Z & Kanye West – Watch The Throne

Jazz Spastiks & Junclassic – Mode 7

J-Live – S.P.T.A.

K-Rino – The Day Of The Storm

Killah Priest – The Psychic World Of Walter Reed

Lil’ Wayne – Tha Carter 4

Massinfluence – Influence Still Rising

Median – The Sender

Oddisee – Rock Creek Park

One Be Lo – L.A.B.O.R.

Pacewon & Mr. Green – The Only Number That Matters Is Won

Phonte – Charity Starts At Home

Pimp C – Still Pimping

Rasheed Chappell – Future Before Nostalgia

Raven Sorvino – Paper Girl

Royce da 5’9 – Success Is Certain

Styles P – Master Of Ceremonies

The Regiment – The Panic Button

Wu-Tang Presents – Legendary Weapons

looking forward to about half of that.

oh, and finally: turns out X won't be giving it to ya (anytime soon)

X was supposed to be released tomorrow, seven months after he was sentenced to serve time for a probation violation.

*obligatory Wu-post*

Wugazi - 36 Chambers mashed up with indie hip-hop Doomtree artists...it goes better than i thought it would, especially track 3 & on. not done with it yet so i cant say if it rates as high as the Beatles mashup does, but there's a stream at that link, so don't sleep! i wish i could find one for the previously posted Ghost Funk, that one turned out to be a lotta fun.

<div style="background-color:#000000;width:368px;"><div style="padding:4px;"><embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:video:mtv.com:672186/cp~vid%3D672186%26uri%3Dmgid%3Auma%3Avideo%3Amtv.com%3A672186" width="360" height="293" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" base="." flashVars=""></embed><p style="text-align:left;background-color:#FFFFFF;padding:4px;margin-top:4px;margin-bottom:0px;font-family:Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:12px;">Get More: <a href="http://www.mtv.com/ontv/" style="color:#439CD8;" target="_blank">MTV Shows</a></p></div></div>

RZA teases unreleased ODB material - great article; highlights what GZA said on his twitter @ Liquid Swords 2 sadly being delayed again for RZA's kung-fu flick (recently wrapped up shooting in china), and how he's working on his own shit currnetly. best part:

... the Wu producer told MTV News that he has given beats to a number of hip-hop artists, including Nas, Busta Rhymes and Ludacris...

can't. wait.

Excited about the DOOM/STARKS colab. I couldn't get the link you posted earlier to work though. :uhm:

Ye/Hova colab tracklist looks promising. Curious to see how Ye used Otis & Curtis.

New Wu looks to be some good stuff as well. So is RZA doing all the producing on this one or is it a mix of RZA and guest producers? It doesn't sound like RZA put a whole lot of effort into the beats though from that interview. He says he just gave a bunch of beats out like Halloween candy. Hopefully he saved the best for Wu. Too bad there won't be any posthumous ODB rhymes though. Fucked up RZA can't even use the stuff he wrote for ODB.

haku - yeah im thinking now that his movie wrapped up, maybe RZA's getting his feet wet again? if Shaolin vs Wu-Tang gets him back in, that'd be cool, but the clan's all over these days so i dont expect another album with him as the sole/main producer again for a bit. guess we'll see where his mind's at, though i can't imagine those beats are on anything that'll see radio play, much like Premier and a lotta dudes i love that still put in work. but yeah, i expect guest production for a while.

for those of you into Jay/Kanye's upcoming Watch the Throne, looks like we got a newer/more full tracklist, looks more interesting too:

Standard Edition Tracklist

1. No Church In The Wild feat. Frank Ocean (Prod. By Kanye West, Mike Dean & Ken Lewis)

2. Lift Off feat. Beyoncé (Prod. By Kanye West, Mike Dean, Jeff Bhasker, Q-Tip & Don Jazzy) (Add Vocals. By Seal, Mr Hudson, Don Jazzy, Bankulli and Ricardo Louis)

3. Niggas In Paris (Produced by Hit-Boy)

4. Otis feat. Otis Redding (Produced by Kanye West)

5. Gotta Have It (Produced by The Neptunes)

6. New Day (Produced by The RZA)

7. That's My Bitch (Produced by Q-Tip & Kanye West)

8. Who Gon Stop Me (Produced by Sham "Sak Pase" Joseph & Kanye West)

9. Murder To Excellence (Produced by Swizz Beatz & S1)

10. Welcome To The Jungle (Produced by Swizz Beatz)

11. Made In America feat. Frank Ocean (Produced by Sham "Sak Pase" Joseph) [previously Sweet Baby Jesus]

12. Why I Love You feat. Mr Hudson (Produced by Mike Dean & Kanye West)

Deluxe Edition

13. Illest Motherfucker Alive (Produced by Southside & Kanye West)

14. H•A•M (Produced by Lex Luger and Kanye West)

15. Primetime (Produced by No I.D.)

16. The Joy feat. Curtis Mayfield

Full production credits at the source link.

ps hahaha, sorry to hate if you dig the dude, just had to share...

nYqsg.png

^^That's the "Black & Yellow" guy, right? Guy had to expect to get clowned on coming out w/ a name like Wiz, and frankly that's probably some of the tamest stuff they could've used. I don't know much about him other than the B&Y song; I didn't really dig that one so I never bothered delving further into his music.

yeah, that's him...i think part of it comes from some earlier shit that looked a little bit hard, then stuff like "ill roll up" recently. i personally dont mind dudes who want to hit both markets (like say nelly used to do) but hooking up with Ye's leftovers (amber rose) and tattooing her shit early on, then having her kid...i mean, good on dude if he's happy, but shit does look pretty charmin.

...i swear ill try to keep this thread about music and not industry gossip shit, but if you're wondering, yeah that's some of what ye was on about in his last album. yeezy taught her well.

^^SMH?

I know more about rap industry gossip than a 13-yr-old girl in Harlem.

At first I thought I'd need a Panchlation, but then I googled some of the stuff. That Amber Rose chick is white, huh? In the pics I saw her w/ Ye I always thought she was black or bi-racial. Girl goes way have on the spray tan.

amber+rose+2.jpg

right in time for my weekend! Mick Boogie's the DJ who put out that great summer mixtape last year with DJ Jazzy Jeff, if you're wondering.

A Tribe Called Quest is one of my favorite groups of all time... in any genre of music. After seeing Michael Rapaport's amazing documentary on the group, I felt inspired to put together a mix and this is the end result. This is NOT a greatest hits mix. This mix is for the true Tribe fans only... the die-hards who know every lyric and remember every interlude. I thought it would be cool to basically create the "lost" Tribe album... with all the rare songs, demos, limited-edition remixes, and collaborations you may have missed over the years. I hope when you enjoy this as much as I do, and hear some things you have never heard before. Special thank you to UNDRCRWN for the amazing artwork. Long live A Tribe Called Quest!

SWv2F.jpg

^click to stream or download! mix is bangin. I'm dying to see that tribe documentary, even with q-tip's controversy, shame it's not showing anywhere down here..here's to hoping for a rip online soon enough.

again, Wu is my favorite hip-hop group 4 days a week; the other 3, it's Tribe.

FREE +1 OPPORUNITY, YOU FEEDBACK WHORES

those who listen to the entire 40 or so minute Tribe mix posted above & post back with a 1-10 (on the dopeness meter, natch) and any kinda feedback - even if "it's shit!" - get a free +1 and love from your admin. there it is. you get a +1 eventually if you listen to cocaine '80s and comment as well, shit's like 5 tracks and you really only gotta hear the common song, and "get yourself some" and "anywhere but here" anyway. shit's mad easy!

ps in the further adventures of hip-hop producers branching out: looks like the neptunes are doing gloria estefan's next album, while timbaland is working on cher's. huh.

The Tribe Called Quest mix is pretty good considering its my first real time listening to more than a track or two at a time of them. Its certainly encouraged me to seek out more by them so if you could give suggestion as to what to go for first, it'd be nice. Dug the mix of "Can I Kick It" as its the track on there I'm most familiar with.

Cocaine 80 thing is a bit of a mess to navigate, but what I've heard on there I liked, dug the common track and after dicking around and scrolling down further, I heard something fucking awesome.

Not hip hop, but still.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4AA6EuZe-k

Edited by the division of joy
  • Upvote 1

(for posterity: DoJ track was nice, both the MC & production)

wanted to share this one since a few of you might dig DJ mixes/mashups like i do:

MeLo-X putting my girl Sade, The Weekend & Drake together, and shit goes. check it out, it's smoother than you might think from the lineup.

ps DoJ - yeah, Cocaine 80s is all over the place and not mostly hip-hop, but past com's track, i really dug "Get you some" and really loved "Anywhere but here".

as for Tribe: Low End Theory is usually their most famous one (early jazzy shit, "Can i kick it?" comes from there), and with good reason, but Midnight Marauders is one of my favorite all-time albums to just vibe too, you can't go wrong there man.

ZI9Xb.png

tumblr_lnkpux5HIC1qgjord.gif

bububut NZA, i thought both he & RZA were working on other things and plus dude's old and it's been like 10 years and and and

STOP RUINING THIS FOR ME yes this is all true, but still, knowing it's in the oven is enough. if you can't see the hype for this, click:

joe budden was always best on the mood muzik 2 mixtape. 3 is also alright.

2005: Mood Muzik 2: Can It Get Any Worse?

2007: Mood Muzik 3: For Better or for Worse

- fuck everything else

Joe Budden - If I Die Tomorrow

<- all u need Edited by Lorelei

i couldn't get into anything past Mood Muzik 2. everything he's done that's not Slaughterhouse =

aLFdE.jpg

Lor, here's some hip-hop you prolly know about, but just in case not (cause i still owe you for Cannibal Ox, no idea how i slept):

more blu, with alchemist on the beat

(god knows jay may never get his fucking album together, but i love almost everything dude puts out. also, just in case that beat sounded familiar...)

while we're doing images, 50 was trolling his twitter last night to get some buzz for Dre's single:

jx2dH.png

and yeah, Rick Ross production without Ricky, i can get excited about:

00-the_olympicks-beats_that_didnt_make_teflon_don-front-2011.jpg

also, this shit killed me:

tumblr_loza0q60y01qzlfumo1_500.jpg

finally: new Gravediggaz! hype.