Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

damn, nice call on sulieka. i wanna say i saw her on a luda video or something.

The Game - Born in the trap (produced by DJ premier, best Game track ive heard since his first album)

and finally, some politics with Immortal Technique, one of the only dudes who knows what he's talking about there, and apparently puts his money where his mouth is as well:

*edit: adding some Black Thought from the Roots:

• Upvote 1

glad you liked him, but Tech is pretty harsh. ive seen him live twice now, here's some of his more known political shit:

and now, for some of his non-political harshness:

preface: this is honestly the saddest hip-hop song i know, only a few others come close.

...moving past Tech: anyone hear Watch the Throne? wanted to see what everyone else's take was on it as well.

tonight, gonna try out more of what i posted there with Black Thought:

thurz.jpg

some fun stuff:

and some great Wu b-sides!

finally, a friend put me onto this classic recently:

9d2b729fd7a0d32422cfe010.L.jpg

so many great guests on this thing - half of it's skits, but a lotta quality about it too. Ive known Prince Paul from his work with like everyone from the Beasties to the Gravediggaz, somehow slept on this since '99 though, glad i finally gave it a spin.

ok, so with Jay/Kanye's album out, and The Game's having leaked, we'll do more mainstream stuff in the next post, here's some indie shit:

Oddisee - The carter barron - new single from a great instrumental hip-hop artist, i meant to post his stuff in the thread for people who like nujabes-type stuff like myself.

Curren$y - Pininfarina - new single from one of my favorite/hardest-working MC's of the last year or two.

Lil B & Mellowhype (Hodgy Beats) from OddFuture - 67

Tyler actin a fool

this week: Curren$y - Verde Terrace (new mixtape, shit's free too - stream here)

The Weekend - Thursday - another free mixtape, also samples on the link).

also, DJ Premeir teases working on the upcoming Nas/Mobb Deep album, along with Pete Rock & AZ...if this doesn't happen, i'm throwing rocks through Nas' window.

oh yeah, Big Ghostface goes in on Lil Wayne's new shit, Carter IV, even worse than his review of Game's album:

12. How To Love - Now I kno yall already heard this shit....I almost skipped reviewin this joint cos I aint really wanna say all the obvious shit you can say bout this shit son. But I might got some shit I gotta get off my chest first lord.... Whoever allowed this nigga to sit down n get his John Mayer on like this needs to get his ass beat down witta sock filled wit batteries son. This shit aint only soft b...its like softness wit techron my nigga. Son...first time I heard this joint it hurt my heart yo. I felt betrayed par. Like it really done came down to this shit b? This the shit yall muthafuckas is rockin wit now yo? Cmon son....where we gon draw line son? This is like listenin to kittens do ballet in slow motion yo. Its like bein showered wit ovaries n bellybuttons son. Its like this muthafucka jus slid on down a rainbow n landed in a big pool of estrogen before he made this shit b. Like this nigga jus pulled up in the drive-thru n ordered the McBitch combo wit extra cheese n a Diet Aveeno. Theres a whole kaleidoscope of homoeroticness happenin rite here son. Drizzy probably crochets mittens to this shit rite here yo. This that shit Drake listens to on his lavender iPod when he usin his flyin umbrella to get from point A to point B son. Rite now...as we speak...theres probably two niggas spoonin on a beach somewhere watchin eagles soar over mountains while they listen to this shit b. This song got a damn uterus son. This like some shit for niggas who rock Spanx b. I thought that when Wiz Khagina made Roll Up he hit us wit the softest shit of the last 5 years yo....like how was niggas gon outdo that shit? But THIS nigga done dropped the atomic bomb of baby thighs on us son. How does a nigga even listen to this shit yo? Im mad I had to hear this shit again at all yo. This nigga croonin wit his eyes closed like he tryna bring all the dolls in his room to life n shit....Nah fuck that shit son....I see a nigga listenin to this shit n Imma run up on him n explode him wit grenades b. I dont care if he drivin in a car wit his kids in it clappin they hands on some Kumbaya shit on they way to church son....I hear a nigga playin this shit in his whip n Imma pull him outta that shit n explode him wit grenades in front a his family b. Word is bond son. Anyways....I dont like this shit b.

just been getting into R.A. the Rugged Man (ive heard him do stuff in the past with Wu, Mobb Deep etc but never really heard his own works), this first one's pretty powerful because it's his dad's story, as his siblings were victims of birth defects from agent orange exposure.

9th-wonder-phonte-300x300-2011-01-03.jpg

9th Wonder - Band Practice II (featuring Phonte & Median)

I was a big fan of Little Brother, which was Big Pooh & Phonte, with 9th Wonder as the DJ. now idea how North Carolina got these guys, they sound like that Detroit sound i adore from Slum Village.

been on a real chill/Native Tongue thing for a while now, just saw Beats Rhymes & Life on my day off, the Tribe documentary...interesting, but really sad shit.

Beatsposter.jpg

these things always do this; MJ's This is It, Bill Withers Still Bill, inevitably the upcoming Nujabes Eternal Soul one will too. i can't not watch them, though.

i'm not normally big on sales-age, but as part of the "almost nobody's going platinum these days", here's the top 2011 sales so far, as of a week or two back:

JAY-Z & KANYE WEST - Watch The Throne : 612,911

WIZ KHALIFA - Rolling Papers : 549,258

BAD MEETS EVIL - Hell: The Sequel EP : 463,012

LUPE FIASCO - Lasers : 457,560

BEASTIE BOYS - Hot Sauce Committee Pt. 2 : 308,520

BIG SEAN - Finally Famous : 189,740

PITBULL - Planet Pit : 174,150

LONELY ISLAND - Turtleneck & Chain : 167,517

MAYBACH MUSIC GROUP - Self Made Vol. 1 - 150,668

TECH N9NE - All 6's & 7's : 130,063

WISIN Y YANDEL - Los Vaqueros: El Regreso : 111,745

SNOOP DOGG - Doggumentary : 107,983

TYLER, THE CREATOR - Goblin : 103,847

DJ KHALED - We The Best Forever : 103,870

COLT FORD - Every Chance I Get : 95,615

TRAVIS BARKER - Give The Drummer Some : 77,211

GUCCI MANE - Return of Mr. Zone 6 : 76,802

E-40 - Revenue Retrievin': Graveyard Shift & Overtime Shift: 69,972

RAEKWON - Shaolin Vs Wu-Tang : 69,428

ATMOSPHERE - The Family Sign : 59,460

JIM JONES - Capo : 58,069

god i wish raekwon & lupe could switch places, based on quality alone

Jay/Ye will hit platinum i think, and some artists there - Tyler, Royce etc - are prolly quite pleased with their golden #'s. Khaled and Snoop phoning shit in blows my mind, but it is what it is.

also, favorite use of the Kanye meme so far:

tumblr_lfc68xzbs31qfyi1ro1_500.jpg9YcM0.png

as for actual music, tonight im bumping Special Herbs, MF DOOM's instrumental albums (there's 10 of em!), all quality & easily found too.

Tonight's track is a repost a lotta people might've missed, great indie joint.

at least haku got the white girl covers for us! :2T: and ill leave your boy lupe alone until his next struggle

yeah, it's a fantastic mashup, DoJ - they just put it up for free with a few other tracks too, thought you'd dig it.

oh yeah - Tyler the Creator's gonna be here for halloween, might see if i can get that day off, depending on the price. Oddfuture's prolly a good show live.

honestly, he's not a bad artist - his first 2 albums were both good.

i think i'm thrown off by

1) a lot've his fans blow him up to be hip-hop's messiah, when he's not even as edgy as say mos def (nor nearly as good with his flow, my opinion, but again, not a bad rapper)

2) i think he kinda shits on his fans the way he pulls mixtapes & such when there's a leak, prolly not the first to do it but he kinda left people hanging there

3) lasers was straight garbage minus a couple tracks

seeing him with shades on talking to bill o'reilly @ FOX is...i mean, he just tweeted something a while back about giving his fans what they want & how he's working to do just that, hope he pulls it off cause i take the piss with haku, but every circle i go to that talks hip-hop, there's always a few dudes hoping he'll bring some conscious shit back, and for their sake, i hope he does it. me, id rather hedge my bets on a dude like Common and get less heart broken.

TL;DR i think he gets gassed up but he's honestly better than a lot of what's out there; i don't really mean to hate so much as toy with hakus.

speaking of, surprised Chris didn't have anything to say @ Watch the Throne. way late impressions: it's a good album, crazy production, jay's still phoning it in but they both have fun with it, more keepers than tracks i delete = good by me. it's not either of their best efforts, it's not some game-changer that it got billed as, but it's still one of the better albums this year.

I'll be honest and say I've not heard anything other than The Cool. Seemed good and his use of samples at times was really good.

One thing that is good though living over here is that a lot of people don't have the kind of exposure to this kinda music that you or Haku's would have, and we don't hear much of fans hyping what would be somewhat unknown hip hop artists to us, so its a blessing in one respect.