Hondo's Bar

i ♥ hip-hop

The NZA

i'm a bit behind this week, so nothing new, but - was arguing with a buddy about old Kanye, so here's a perfect example of a b-side with his old style that i dgi (still like his new shit too though), plus i fucking love Little Brother because Phonte's a great MC & 9th wonder has to be somewhere in my top 10 producers. anyway, enjoy.

Never heard that. Nice. I can't say I heard a lot of Kanye b-sides back when he started. I was well aware of his producing, having been into Jay-Z and Roc-a-Fella. Once he did start droppin his lyrics I remember Duads hatin. Even back then I told him to watch that guy. I heard something in his stuff and thought he could be a pretty crazy double threat guy (production and lyrics). Then, years later, it was cool to like him and Duads was like "you don't know about Ye". Really, Duads? Pfffft!

haha, i picture him saying that wearing his trucker hat.

also,

other stuff:

Slum Village Announce Reunion And New LP, "Fantastic Volume 3"

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/i...astic-volume-3

also, incoming Ice-T documentary:

oh yeah, and if there's any other OddFuture fans here: Earl's apparently back, woo hoo!

No I.D. Challenged Kanye to make Otis on the spot

Jay-Z and Kanye West’s Watch the Throne may be in contention for Best Rap Album at the Grammys, but Dion “No I.D.” Wilson—who produced one of the disc’s bonus cuts, “Primetime”—initially wasn’t too impressed with the blockbuster collaborative LP.

“I kinda didn’t agree with the direction that Watch the Throne was going because I felt like, ‘Y’all were two of the best that did it as far advancing, pushing the bar, the envelope of what hip-hop can do and is,’” Wilson told XXLMag.com. “And I felt like some of the songs were copping out a little to me.”

Months after his first listen, Wilson was fortunate enough to hear the final WTT version while in New York for Big Sean’s Finally Famous listening session. Again, Jay and ‘Ye’s frequent collaborator wasn’t thrilled. Something was missing. Yeezy had been working closely with RZA, Q-Tip, The Neptunes and Hit Boy, just to name a few, but he hadn’t produced a record on his own as he did on his previous records.

I get the co-productions, but how you gon do an album and you don’t go to the machine and do one beat by yourself?” No I.D. explained. “We have always sparked this challenge in each other and it bled into the world, so I just wanted to hit him in the stomach real quick. This is what you got? He was like, ‘No, that’s cool. I’m bout to do something.’”

No I.D.’s challenge resulted in Yeezy chopping up Otis Redding’s “Try a Little Tenderness” for The Throne’s smash hit, “Otis.” The song was added to WTT at the 11th hour and became the LP’s second single. It’s now nominated for Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance at the Grammys.

“I remember even at the time at the label they was like, ‘What the hell? No I.D. just came in and messed up our release schedule,’” he recalled. “We all amongst ourselves really are battling each other each and every minute of life, but it’s all in the spirit of advancement and the pursuit of dopeness is what I call it.”

on that note, Hype Williams put out the official video for n*ggas in paris this week - heads-up if you got epilepsy!

not often you see good hip-hope live...damn, the one time i saw Jay he was lazy as fuck, glad he's stepped it up.

• 2 weeks later...

sFVNo.jpg

not bad, ive missed hearing Luda.

Jay Electronica still doing shoe shit instead of albums, and any Kid Cudi fans here? dude's been blowing up on twitter about how much he hates his label for half-assing his new album's distribution. MoTM3 is on delay.

i gotta get back to that one - how'd you like Slaughterhouse's last album? fans i know dug it, i kept a few tracks but can't really listen to the whole thing in one sitting, 4 dudes going in on every track...shit's a bit much! but i came off liking Joel Ortiz a bit.

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhWp9wu0x3MB3h8feg"><param'>http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhWp9wu0x3MB3h8feg"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/e/16711680/wshhWp9wu0x3MB3h8feg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

also, new mixtape by Big K.R.I.T. 4eva N a day, and it's really good so far. he's one of my favorite artists in the last few years, and the last track "Alarm" (haven't gotten to it yet) is supposed to be amazing.

<object width="380" height="460"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.livemixtapes.com/player.swf?q=mid%3D16042%26q%3D25ec9b6d6201f545%26a%3D2b84184d"></param><param'>http://embed.livemixtapes.com/player.swf?q=mid%3D16042%26q%3D25ec9b6d6201f545%26a%3D2b84184d"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.livemixtapes.com/player.swf?q=mid%3D16042%26q%3D25ec9b6d6201f545%26a%3D2b84184d" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="380" height="460"></embed></object>

Yeah, they can be a bit much after a while. Happens with every group, really. Wu is the only exception because they sound so different individually. Still, I'm interested in everything Shady Records.

Big KRIT I've heard good things about. Gotta give him a chance.

honestly, i don't know why i wasn't expecting that though - it's 4 battle rappers, that's what you're gonna get! i don't really have a feel for I, and budden's still hit or miss for me these days. is Royce still your boy there?

speaking of shady records - i slept on Radioactive cause Yelawolf doesn't really click with me, lemme know your thoughts if you heard it man.

i think you'd like K.R.I.T., southern shit that sounds like he's really all about it (dude produces his own shit too!), i'll make you a mixtape if you want.

I like Slaughterhouse. I didn't think I would like them, but they've grown on me. Crooked I is the biggest surprise to me. Usually I don't like rappers like that, but dude can flow. They all can, but yes, they do get lazy sometimes. Royce included. Still love him, though. Yela bothers me after a while. He always is on or has down south rappers on his shit which helps, but i don't really fuck with him.

Yes, could you please make me a mixtape? Really, this is the only way you'll get me to like the unknown shit. How's this? I'll pay ya (for disks and shit) for every act you turn me to.

wait, i could be wrong but i think panch was talkin to me, haha (?) - and if so, panch all i need is blank CD's (unless you're down for mp3s, then DVDs for more space, natch).

sin - id be lying if i said i know what glitch-hop is though, you got examples? there's an alternative hip-hop thread for stuff that doesn't neatly fit, but ive got no idea where your stuff stands, feel free to post samples!

YASIIN / DILLA 'SUNSHINE SCREWFACE' XCLUSIVE from MASSCORPORATION.COM on Vimeo.

Yasiin Bey fuck you space, he's fucking muhammad ali Mos Def to me man goes in on a Dilla beat, fun stuff.

related:

also, Jay Electronica is playing with my emotions again.

Dear Believers and Patient Supporters. Thank you for your patience and support. The Album will be turned in Tomorrow evening. The wait ends.

281akc8.gif

oh yeah, Big Ghostface put up his best albums/mixtapes of 2011, pretty varied list with some good calls, i thought.

panch - i think i burned your disc wrong, hopefully the tags show artist names so it's not all fucked up.

by the way, i slept on this in '07 but came across a fun DJ Jazzy Jeff & Meth track:

oh, and friday made 15 years since B.I.G. died (R.I.P.), a friend showed me this mashup album of him + pop chick Lana Del Ray...check it out, i think it goes together way better than it should!

ps don't let Kanye into his zone!

kinda mad at myself for forgetting to put Kendrick Lamar - Section.80 on that mixtape. next time.

kXr9J.jpg

Nas - The Don << new single, with no tags! i question the beat but Nas is still going hard, this next album is gonna be so good.

also, had to share, cause i love when album covers get Cash Money'd

tumblr_levkd9J70t1qzp1o3o1_500.jpgtumblr_l5oc8e7SmF1qzzvv4o1_500.jpg

I haven't combed through 35 pages of this thread to see if this guy's been mentioned, but I've been listening to a good amount of Danny Brown's album, XXX. Really clever rhymes and ridiculous explicit shit used to an interesting effect. Does kind of a Jeckyl and Hyde thing where he raps in a very different voice depending on how sincere the song is. Shit is actually jarring in a really effective way when he goes from a nasally almost cyprill hill-ish voice to a really normal deep voice when he starts rapping about how his addiction runs in the family. Haven't paid attention to this guy much until now, but this is a good album that puts the whole "I'm so awesome I do shit tons of drugs and fuck lots of girls" bit into an appropriately dark perspective while still having plenty of fun with it.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Q36-6tPtU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Q36-6tPtU?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-Q36-6tPtU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

^yeah, that's my go-to track for dude, but it's not a good example of that jekyll/hyde shit you mentioned Junker. I ended up liking Hybrid more than XXX because that higher pitch/hyper style didn't click as much with me as some others, but ive got a few mixtapes of his sort through. good call though man.

he's one of the better new guys though, i think - J. Cole is alright, ive dug Big K.R.I.T. and Kendrick Lamar more though. have you heard much from Jay Electronica?