Hondo's Bar

Ever thought about making music?

The NZA

i know we had a thread on here years back about learning guitar - i've never had enough commitment to really learn anything.  a buddy gave me a harmonica years back after a live performance made me wanna have a go at it...i always wanted to pull off something from a bo didley joint & would try when stopped in traffic, but i just never got good, haha. 

still, i'd thought it'd be fun trying to make beats on an old MPC forever, and videos like this show just how cool it can be when it comes together:

not sure if i'll ever get the chance, just wanted to see if anyone else had thought about taking up an instrument!

paging @Donatella for her mad uke skills

• Upvote 1

I've always wanted to learn something. I learned some guitar tabs for my senior project back in high school. Never stuck with it though.

I've always wondered how well plastic Rockband drums translate to real life haha. I can pull out some sick gutbusters in expert mode!

Yeah, it had like a "pro mode". You needed some extra pieces for the drums. I have the keyboard for that one and the pro mode for that one is alot of fun. Some legit practice with that and you could learn a thing or two.

Meanwhile, Katherine, who played marimba in HS, ended up buying one. We have it in our studio space and I'd like to learn a few things on that one. The reading music bit is something I never retained from my one year in band in 7th grade haha.

I played the cello in ninth grade orchestra and then a little guitar and bass just after high school. It was always one of those things that I felt came to me pretty easily but I wasn’t passionate about. 

I think I’d almost rather take voice lessons because I love to sing but I’m not very good at it!

Also the ukulele has been very fun. I bought it for a stress relief tool and it definitely helps get my mind off things. I really need to play it more often. Maybe I can get to a point where I can play the uke AND sing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Donatella said:

Maybe I can get to a point where I can play the uke AND sing!

F that. I can maybe barely hum a couple notes while strumming, but that's about it...EXCEPT on "Heart of Gold" by Twenty One Pilots. I can play the uke and sing that one for some reason.

Also, fellow ukes unite! I picked up a cheapo one last year for the same reasons. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

:lush: i've always said the voice is an instrument, and pretty much ever since choir, i've wanted to have a voice nearly as smooth as aloe blacc in the first verse here (it only builds as it goes, but still).  for real, just listen around 1:40, "bad times comin', and i, reaped what i done sowweed.." is the definition of effortlessly masterclass. it kills me how he carries that note seemingly without even trying.  perfect example of the kinda voice/talent one makes a faustian deal over right there.