Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

The Brown Bunny

Z8j0T.jpg

I've been wanting to see this movie for years, but it's damn near impossible to find, for reasons I'll get into in a moment. Vincent Gallo's first movie, Buffalo '66, is probably one of my favorite movies of all time. I've seen that one a dozen times if I've seen it once.

The reason it was so hard to find the real version is because it has a scene where Chloe Sevigny gives someone a blowjob. I also suspected this was why I never read any good reviews. Most people are fuckin' prudes, especially if you had the misfortune to be raised by a single mother (off topic protip: if you're quick to declare to anyone how distasteful you find it when a sexual situation occurs in media, but you find your self habitually single, you should probably start making some connections. Maybe your mom was wrong. After all, she fucked one of those "disgusting jerks".)

Anyway, I've wanted to see it for years, and they wouldn't let me special order it at Blockbuster (but they let me get Salo, probably because that isn't real shit they're eating). But today I saw it on Netflix streaming. Sweet!

Man, am I disappointed. It's just not a very good movie. It has it's moments, but it has none of the magic of Buffalo '66. And I like artsy movies, I like "boring" movies. This one just does it wrong.

I also assumed the oral scene was overhyped: her mouth by a wang and then a shot from behind of a head bobbing or something.

NOPE.

It's rather long (ha) and rather close up of Ms. Sevigny sucking the shit out of a dick. No movie magic here, she's eating that cock and slobbering all over it. It doesn't happen until almost the very end of the movie though, naturally.

So yeah. Not a very good movie at all, and my assumptions about the critics were incorrect. It is a pretty good blowjob though.

Just wanted to bump Salo, I got to scar yet another mind letting someone watch that lovely piece of cinematic wonder that got the director murdered...I LOVE Salo!

Last movie I watched was Dororo. Japanese demon flick, not much substance, but it was fun, over the top gore too. Kinda like Versus, but no guns and set in old times.

I just finished watching Poolboy 2: Drowning out the Fury. It is a film about Kevin Sorbo coming back from Vietnam and not knowing how to adjust to life back in the states, starts up a Pool cleaning service. This is a spoof comedy/documentary and at times it is pretty damn funny, but other times it is just so stupid it borders on retarded (in a bad way).

But seeing Hercules vs. Machete (aka Danny Trejo) is worth it. Don't watch it though if you have a problem with racism against mexicans and seeing lots of random titties.

I watched a trailer for a movie that featured Kevin Sorbo (a man who has not been in anything that was worth a shit since Hercules went off the air, sorry Andromeda fans) and Danny Trejo (a literal ex-convict who is so excited about being an actor now that he'll agree to be in ANYTHING) that looked like it was shot in somebody's yard and edited in Windows Movie Maker. I think I have the right amount of expectations for this movie.

^^I caught it on sale on bluray for $9. It's a good purchase, axel.

Speaking of badass teenage girls with bow skills, I just saw Hunger Games. I never read any of the books, but had a basic understanding of the story arc of the three novels going in. The dramatic build up in act one was great. However, the Capitol City events were a bit disjointed, and the actual Hunger Games action in the third act was suprisingly lacking in momentum and impact; frankly, it was actually fairly anticlimactic. Jennifer Lawrence was excellent though. It really made me wish I could get a Winter's Bone sequel rather than the inevitable Mockingjay... I give it a B-, maybe a B.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

^^I caught it on sale on bluray for $9. It's a good purchase, axel.

Speaking of badass teenage girls with bow skills, I just saw Hunger Games. I never read any of the books, but had a basic understanding of the story arc of the three novels going in. The dramatic build up in act one was great. However, the Capitol City events were a bit disjointed, and the actual Hunger Games action in the third act was suprisingly lacking in momentum and impact; frankly, it was actually fairly anticlimactic. Jennifer Lawrence was excellent though. It really made me wish I could get a Winter's Bone sequel rather than the inevitable Mockingjay... I give it a B-, maybe a B.

The book is like that too, the actual games is the latter third of the book and it doesn't move fast at all. You're meant to ruminate on stuff. Don't worry, Catching Fire is much actiony-er and I literally have no idea how they're going to be able to make Mockingjay PG-13 without taking a lot of shit out.

Depends on what angle you're approaching from. If you're in it for wholesale ultraviolence or just something really fucked up then Battle Royale is better, if you're looking for world building then Hunger Games is a much more fleshed out world. Even in the book you have to infer a lot about society in Japan other than that it's oppressive, they won World War 2, and otherwise nothing has really changed. The movie version's reason for the Battle Royale program being "to curb youthful rebellion" is retarded and I was glad to see it was just made for the movie and we only really ever see a few of the ruling class in that movie, even the characters don't have personalities until they're already murdering the fuck out of each other. I liked the whole American Idol/Next Top Model approach of The Hunger Games, and the fact that making a good impression is a big deal if you want to have a chance in Hell, it was a nice touch and the implications of the fact that everything is televised and everyone is forced to watch the whole thing just does a lot more for me than quietly culling a Japanese Jr. High Class and then telling everybody who won at the end. Battle Royale is a great horror movie, I enjoy it a lot, it's easily my favorite foreign language movie and probably somewhere in my top 10 horror movie, still The Hunger Games is deeper and more fleshed out but less viscerally satisfying (then again that's part of the point, but still.)

The Hunger Games also plagiarized The Running Man less, so there's that.

Saw John Carter this weekend and it's a freakn' crime that it didn't make 1/5 the box office of Hunger Games when it's twice as good a movie.

*Your Highness*

I chuckled here & there...it was OK, but nothing I would buy or really go out of my way to see again...

Um, Natalie Portman kickin' ass and showin' it. That alone gets the "rewatchable" seal of approval for me. :D

Yeah, the trailer really made me think it would be a good popcorn flick, but I should've remembered the first film did the same. The Chimera battle was ok and the minotaur's labyrinth was the best part of the 3D aspect, but overall it had the most contrived plot and horrible dialogue I've experienced in a film in a long time.

Watched The Hunger Games last week. It was good, but didn't live up to the hype. Hoping the next films are as good as people say, but frankly, I had been lead to believe this would be like the next Harry Potter, and it wasn't nearly that good.

Edited by Reverend Jax