Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

downloaded Pink Flamingos the other day and turned it on to just check the quality, ended up watching it right then and there...it's not something you can turn off...just mezmerizing in a tranny eating shit kind of way...not to mention Edie and her eggs, and just about everything else in the movie. Just wow...if you haven't seen it you need to, just make sure your parents are in the room, and maybe your pastor and/or church group. It's a nice movie to share with friends...

I dunno.... I wanted to like it. It kinda just turns into a bunch of conversations that are lists of douchebags that deserve to die. It starts off awesomely though. It's just kinda uneven I think. It's worth watching, just don't go in with first impressions from trailers on the mind. It's just executed (teehee) differently.

beastsofsouthernwild.jpg

Fantastic, uplifting movie. It's everything you want and expect from a great independent film--it takes something old (a coming of age story) and makes it feel new again. And the musical score is outstanding. I'd be shocked if the score and film aren't nominated for an Oscar. I liked Avengers & Amazing Spider-Man, but this was by far the best movie I've seen all summer.

Fuck the new shit, let's get back to the early 90's and a man you all know by the name of Stephen Chow. Watched a Duology called A Chinese Odyssey. It is definately a Chow movie, but not anything like Shaolin Soccer or Kung-Fu Hustle. Not really even like Royal Tramp or King of Beggars...it is really quite odd. Starts off like any older HK flick, and from there just goes weird, then into a love-story then into more weirdness. Fansubs didn't help, but it is worth a watch if you like Chow or Chinese Martial Arts films.

NnRov.jpg

This.

I am really not sure how I feel about this movie. In the first 30 minutes or so this was the most uncomfortable I'd been whilst watching a movie since renting An American Carol on a lark. Then the movie backed off a little bit, but it's like 60% angry rants about this or that, there's a 5 minute rant about Juno. Part of me sees this as a preachy annoying rant of a movie by an aging and now annoyingly curmudgeonly Bobcat Goldthwait but part of me thinks that's just a kneejerk reaction and that this is more tongue-in-cheek than it appears. I mean surely he saw the irony in putting a rant about how we've become an "I can't believe you just did that society" not five minutes after watching the main character fantasizing about (This isn't a World's Greatest Dad level spoiler but I'll tag it just in case you don't ant the opening spoiled for you)

shooting a baby with a shotgun and watching its mother screaming whilst covered in it's blood or commenting on how much he hates said baby and its "Stupid fat fucking baby face"

I find it hard to believe that Bobcat's that ignorant and that maybe the movie is a metacommentary on people who react to the kind of stuff the main character reacts to becoming, themselves, just as mean spirited and ugly as the thing they hate.

I don't really know, I need to catch the commentary when I get a few minutes and maybe watch this like 6 more times. I left the movie for the most part thinking I liked it but there were several patches where I just got long uncomfortable chills.

• Upvote 1

God Bless America. I thought it was awesome. It was definitely commentary on voyeur culture, but the lead characters were not immune to the same pitfalls they railed against. Its also interesting how there is a line in the movie where a character says "fuck Vladimir Nabokov" and then later in the film are several consecutive scenes which are frame for frame an homage to Lolita. Overall, I thought it was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. Highly reccommended.