Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm a big fan of time travel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and writer/director Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom) so I've been looking forward to Looper since I read the pitch years ago. Saw it yesterday and it did not dissapoint, though it was very different from my expectations and what the trailers make it out to be. The film set up such an interesting world, I found myself wishing this was a cable TV series, just so we could explore it more. Some of the conceits of the film are prone to pitfalls if one were to really think about it, but I didn't find myself wanting to over-analyze it (I still think Timecrimes is the best executed time-travel movie). The basic set up is rather simple in retrospect (this could have easily been made as a short story/film) and drags a bit in the middle, but the payoff was extremely well staged and executed and more than makes up for it.

Now, can we get a Rainmaker spin-off??

Edited by C_U_SPACECOWBOY

I never saw Timecrimes. My favorite time travel movie is 12 Monkeys, do you think it was better than that?

Anyway, I want to see Looper, but I have to ask, does the movie even make an attempt to explain why the mob can't just send people they want to kill back in time into a volcano? Or the middle of the ocean a billion years ago?

Anyway, I want to see Looper, but I have to ask, does the movie even make an attempt to explain why the mob can't just send people they want to kill back in time into a volcano? Or the middle of the ocean a billion years ago?

Some of the conceits of the film are prone to pitfalls if one were to really think about it...

Unfortunately no.

The film takes place in 2044 (present) and bodies are being sent back from about 2074. The explaination given is that bodies are impossible to get rid of in the future "cause of ID tags and stuff". Granted this explaination is given from a goon in 2044. Loopers are essentially short sighted goons who sign up for a clearly raw deal because it's seen as a way out of being destitute, so it's a safe bet they don't read the fine print and are probably never given the whole story.

I saw what you wrote about the pitfalls, I just wasn't sure if they made a lousy or half-heart attempt to explain that, or if they made no attempt at all. Anyway, I'm gonna see it.

One more question, does it play out like a mindfuck type of movie, or more like a thriller, or crime drama, or what?

Edited by Reverend Jax

Without spoiling too much, the movie pretty much tells you not to think about or ask questions about time travel. There are a couple of funny moments when this happens.

It's less of a mind fuck and more character driven drama (to me at least).

I got really excited by the trailer for V/H/S. Looked like a creepy anthology by some great up and coming horror directors (Ti West specifically). Had some great potential, but I thought the end produce was laughably bad.

What the hell was with the alien pregnancy one? Ugh. The only good entry IMO was the first one, with the demon girl.

Trying to watch Indie Game: The Movie... It's interesting, but damn these people are whiny as fuck.

Finally over. Worth a watch, but so pretentious. The Braid guy was especially annoying. Getting pissed cause people didn't like the game the way he didn't want them to like it.

qVxS5.jpg

Pretty good adaptation (so far). Its been awhile since I read the book, but they got a lot right and it's a fun watch. I think they cut out alot of his inner monologues though which is some of the best stuff from the book. But if you look at it as a standalone, animated Bats movie, none of that matter. It's really really good.

• 3 weeks later...

Also did a double feature tonight, which also included Wreck-It Ralph--although I'd call it more the Toy Story 3 of video game films.

Yeah it definitely was that, but in terms of references, they were everywhere. Scenes inside of Game Central are pause worthy. I really want a sequel to this.

Was really hoping Ralph would cross paths with Donkey Kong at some point.

Been hitting up the theaters a lot the past few weeks!

Cloud Atlas was AMAZING. It instantly became one of my favorite movies. I really want to see it again on the big screen.

Paranormal Activity 4 - Meh. It wasn't terrible, but don't waste your money. Wait for Netflix/DVD/etc.

Silent Hill Revelations - I heard a lot of grumbling about it, but it was super good! I really enjoyed it.

This past weekend we saw Wreck-It Ralph and Man with the Iron Fists. HOLY FUCK. They were both so awesome! Wreck-It Ralph had me crying at the end, and CJ called Iron Fists one of the best Kung Fu movies he's seen in a long time. To which I agree with.

I'm shit at reviews, but those are my two cents.

<3

Man with the Iron Fists - Went with a group and the consensus was that it was pretty terrible. Personally I wouldn't even give it the pretty, just plain terrible. Shame too, a lot of potential there.

Cloud Atlas - Wow. Loved it. I would have gladly watched a feature length version of each of the six stories. Tragedy, Triumph and Synchronicity, it is about nothing and everything. I can't wait to watch it again or pick up the blu ray and disect each scene. Caught a few interconnections between the vinettes:

Luisa Rey's appartment in the 70s is 451 / Somni-451 is the fabricant who becomes a martyr/deity in the future. Robert Frobisher writes the Cloud Atlas sextet / his lover's name is Rufus Sixsmith.

I am sure there are a ton of other hidden threads that I could not decipher on the first watch. It's a shame this is underperforming at the box office, but it is understandable. This is not a film for your everyday movie goer, and should definately not be entered into lightly. Still, anyone who is a fan of movies needs to see this. I'm sure it is going to be a polarizing and hotly debated film for years to come.

• Upvote 1