Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Watched Jackie Brown for like the 4th time tonight to see if I liked it any better than the first 3 times (plus Katherine's never seen it). It is a fine movie, it just isn't a very good Tarantino movie I guess. It feels like someone else trying to copy his style to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Little Miss Sunshine - Awesome, dark, hilarious and kinda sad all at once. The dance scene at the end was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. Can't believe I've sat on watching this for so long.

Life of Pi - Beautiful film and fantastic for all except the last 10 minutes or so. Weak ending, in my opinion. But having not read the book, I'm not sure any other ending would've worked in keeping shit faithful or not, so, folks who read it... Faithful?

Safety Not Guaranteed - Fantastic. Quirky, odd, well acted and a really nice love story. Watching it made me fall even more in love with Aubrey Plaza :love:

Bought this yesterday in a sale along with Chronicle and John Carter. 3DTV looks so much more impressive than 3D cinema IMO. Although having to wear my regular glasses underneath the 3D glasses is a distraction.

Damn, you may be the first Hondonian to go 3D w/ the home theater, Crim. I was briefly entertaining the thought of getting one on sale for Black Friday, but I just wasn't really feeling the need. Interesting that you rate the home 3D above the actual cinema. I'm sure it's a brighter picture for sure.

Finally got around to Man with the Iron Fists, which wasn't as bad as I'd anticipated after all the reviews. Low expectations is the key to enjoying this one.

I also saw Brad Pitt's Killing Them Softly. James Gandolfini has an extended part, but it's one of these films that tries to convey big ideas by being minimalist, and it's just a really long, and slow road to get to Pitt's "Michael Clayton" like monologue at the end of the film. Only this film isn't nearly as interesting or suspenseful as Michael Clayton.

KILLER JOE

I don't know exactly how I feel about this movie.

Yeah, the trailer looked like the film could go either way. It's been sitting on my HD for a while.

PHB0LWdcZjyjEK_1_m.jpg

I haven't seen The Darjeeling Limited or The Fantastic Mr. Fox (both are in my cue), but based on Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums and The Life Aquatic, I think this one should, at the very least, live up to the reasonable expectations any fan of Wes Anderson's would fan. I enjoyed it quite a bit. The art direction in Wes Anderson films always keeps your mind stimulated from start to finish, and in this regard Anderson might have outdone himself. Anderson's style is as distinct and immediately recognizable as Quentin Tarantino's; jump into the middle of any of his films and you can tell within 30 seconds it's one of his movies. Anyway, if you like Wes Anderson movies, I recommend Moonrise Kingdom. If you're not a fan, this movie won't make you one.

qD1tCVl.jpg

I don't know exactly how I feel about this movie.

I actually saw the play that this was based on at the behest of my Survey of Motion Pictures professor, like 10-11 years ago.

Watched the film adaptation a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty loyal, if not a bit more menacing than I remember.

My friend swears that....

chicken wing fellatio

was in the play as well but I have only the slightest recollection of it.

You'd think something like

chicken wing fellatio

would stick with you but apparently not.

The Collection - Decent, not as good as the first when it comes to creativity but still solid. And, the ending fucking ruled. If the entire movie had been shit I still would have loved it just for the ending.

A Haunted House - CJ found a cam and had it playing in the background, I wasn't watching it but then I was. It's a lot more subtle than I expected and only dips into typical spoof territory a couple times. I've often said Marlon Wayans is smarter and funnier than he lets on and in this he showed a little bit of the kind of magic that his older brother managed to catch in a bottle for I'm Gonna Git You Sucka. Admittedly, it still wasn't great, but it was pretty decent.

Haku, you're another guy that should love Fantastic Mr. Fox. You two are the main mouthpieces around here for the "clever kids movie" type genre, you should be all over this.

And I'm not saying Darjeeling Limited is bad. I'm saying I think it's his worst movie. I like all the others better.

I watched The ABCs of death earlier today and thought it was pretty cool. There are enough stories to be entertaining. If you arent digging one its over quick enough. Alot of stupid shit to be sure but some pretty solid efforts. W was probably the most fun letter. Baytor, you should dig it.

Re: Killer Joe-

I actually saw the play that this was based on at the behest of my Survey of Motion Pictures professor, like 10-11 years ago.

Watched the film adaptation a couple of weeks ago, and it's pretty loyal, if not a bit more menacing than I remember.

My friend swears that....

chicken wing fellatio

was in the play as well but I have only the slightest recollection of it.

You'd think something like

chicken wing fellatio

would stick with you but apparently not.

BTW- there is no way you would forget that part. Saw this and like a lot of broadway or plays to theater, it didn't work. The trailer was pretty cool, but this movie is empty unless you are a fan of anyone who's in it.

Edited by spiffytee

OK, all this Killer Joe spoiler talk has me intrigued. I'm gonna finally watch it tonight.

*edit*

You fucking assholes . . .

It was a chicken LEG not a wing. Two totally different things, guys. Christ. Way to fuck it up.

Also, Dottie pulled that trigger at the end. Yup.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin