Hondo's Bar

What was the last film you saw?

Unlike the History Channel, I think Singer & Cruise were trying to be more slaves to the actual facts of the events, but I'm rusty on my WWII era Nazi history, so I could be wrong. And were they "rag-tag"? I thought they were all officers? Could it have had more action and been improved? Yeah. But I was entertained enough to not feel it was a waste of time or even a disappointment for Singer directorially. It's not a film I'd recommend buying unless your a Hollywood WWII film completionist though.

Saw Oz: The Great and Powerful last night. The first act is solid (shot in b&w in Kansas as was the original film) and even though the plot weekend a bit in the second act, it was a fairly decent family flick through out. (Well, as much as you can call putting Mila Kunis in tight black leather pants a "Family film.) Raimi did manage to get a Bruce Cambpell cameo as well as his standard "crone" in there. Raimi followed the Tim Burton "3D Playbook" as far as cramming in as many bright colors and 3D gags as possible, but it didn't seem to bother me as much here. Possibly b/c as a long-time Raimi fan I know that's his goofy, slapsticky sense of humor. I'd definitely recommend seeing this one on the big screen in 3D.

I just saw it but in 2d. I agree with the plot stuff. Had some weird pacing, but it was a cool movie. Way more enjoyable than jack the giant killer.

Mila Kunis as the wicked witch of the west was weird too. Like she didnt quite reach that level, though i suspect that has to do with that strange pacing. They shoulda cast Sarah Jessica Parker and saved on prosthetics.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin
added spoiler

Saw Oz: The Great and Powerful last night. The first act is solid (shot in b&w in Kansas as was the original film) and even though the plot weekend a bit in the second act, it was a fairly decent family flick through out. (Well, as much as you can call putting Mila Kunis in tight black leather pants a "Family film.) Raimi did manage to get a Bruce Cambpell cameo as well as his standard "crone" in there. Raimi followed the Tim Burton "3D Playbook" as far as cramming in as many bright colors and 3D gags as possible, but it didn't seem to bother me as much here. Possibly b/c as a long-time Raimi fan I know that's his goofy, slapsticky sense of humor. I'd definitely recommend seeing this one on the big screen in 3D.

You said the first act was "solid" and the second act "weekend [sic] a bit." So what about the third act? Did it make up for the weaker second act?

Not the last thing I saw, but it deserves a plug: Sushi Girl

zvstXcw.png

It's got Tony Todd as a leader of a group of criminals, Mark Hamill torturing a guy with dental equipment, cameos of Danny Trejo, Michael Beihn & Jeff Fahey, and a naked chick in the middle of it all throughout the movie. It really should have been more rad given that content, but it is definitely worth a watch.

The one from the documentary thread? That movie looked badass.

Yes! It leaves some to be desired there at the end, but I kinda expected that. It's a very cool movie. On Netflix now!

Edited by axel_napalm

• 2 weeks later...

So I watched Life of Pi last night aaaaand it was not what I was expecting. Much more of a downer than what it was made out to be. Good acting, well made and all, but it just wasn't for me.

and it really felt cheapened when the interviewer at the end went through the trouble to explain the second story, and who symbolizes what. As soon as he started telling the second version, I was swirling thoughts of who represented what, then they went and just had that guy go "Oh and this means this in case you didn't catch it".

I caught The Goon on Netflix this week and really enjoyed it. I'm not one for sports films or hockey, but this one had a great cast, very funny script, and it was apparently based on the exploits of a real guy. Recommended.

I also saw Olympus Has Fallen tonight at the theater and it was okay. It was much better than the last Die Hard film, but still a bit light on the action and heavy on the shots of American flags flapping in the wind. This one you can definitely wait to DL.

So I watched Life of Pi last night aaaaand it was not what I was expecting. Much more of a downer than what it was made out to be. Good acting, well made and all, but it just wasn't for me.

and it really felt cheapened when the interviewer at the end went through the trouble to explain the second story, and who symbolizes what. As soon as he started telling the second version, I was swirling thoughts of who represented what, then they went and just had that guy go "Oh and this means this in case you didn't catch it".

Totally agree w/ your spoiler. I felt was overkill for the "dumb Americans" who can't possibly understand the concept of subtext. A minor gripe though to a beautifully shot film. I saw it in 3D and really enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...