Hondo's Bar

In Cars

Freebird

well, after receiving a threat from ic about editing or transferring the topic to crapshack, i decided to take the hint and create a thread in which motorvehicles are the topic of discussion.... you can post pics of your car, talk about 'em, talk about cars in general or whatever the fuck yah want... and yes chief, even the great autocrossing... so go fuckin' nuts B)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4. The Despisers of the Body

TO THE despisers of the body I speak my word. I wish them neither to learn afresh, nor teach anew, but only to bid farewell to their own bodies,- and thus become silent.

"Body am I, and soul"- so says the child. And why should one not speak like children?

But the awakened one, the knowing one, says: "Body am I entirely, and nothing more; and soul is only the name of something in the body."

The body is a great wisdom, a plurality with one sense, a war and a peace, a flock and a shepherd.

An instrument of your body is also your small wisdom, my brother, which you call "mind"- a little instrument and toy of your great wisdom.

"I," you say, and are proud of that word. But the greater thing- in which you are unwilling to believe- is your body with its great wisdom; that does not say "I," but does "I."

What the sense feels, what the mind knows, never has its end in itself. But sense and mind would rather persuade you that they are the end of all things: so vain are they.

Instruments and toys are sense and mind: behind them there is still the Self. The Self seeks with the eyes of the senses, it listens also with the ears of the mind.

Always the Self listens and seeks; it compares, masters, conquers, and destroys. It rules, and is also the mind's ruler.

Behind your thoughts and feelings, my brother, there is a mighty lord, an unknown sage- it is called Self; it dwells in your body, it is your body.

There is more wisdom in your body than in your best wisdom. And who then knows why your body needs precisely your best wisdom?

Your Self laughs at your mind, and its bold leaps. "What are these leaps and flights of thought to me?" it says to itself. "A detour to my end. I hold the puppet-strings of the mind, and am the prompter of its notions."

The Self says to the mind: "Feel pain!" Then the mind suffers, and thinks how it may put an end to its suffering- and that is why it is made to think.

The Self says to the mind: "Feel pleasure!" Then the mind is pleased, and thinks how it may be pleased again- and that is why it is made to think.

I want to speak to the despisers of the body. Their contempt is caused by their respect. What is it that created respect and contempt and worth and will?

The creating Self created for itself respect and contempt, it created for itself pleasure and pain. The creative body created the mind as a hand for its will.

Even in your folly and contempt you each serve your Self, you despisers of the body. I tell you, your very Self wants to die, and turns away from life.

No longer can your Self do that which it desires most:- create beyond itself. That is what it desires most; that is its fervent wish.

But it is now too late to do so:- so your Self wishes to perish, you despisers of the body.

To perish- so wishes your Self; and therefore you have become despisers of the body. For you can no longer create beyond yourselves.

And that is why you are angry with life and the earth. An unconscious envy is in the sidelong glance of your contempt.

I do not go your way, you despisers of the body! You are no bridges to the Superman!-

Thus spoke Zarathustra.

Look, girly, I like ya, but... street racing is cool & all, especially on the West Coast, that started the whole import street racer... but be real

1) Unless your Civic has a turbo, nitrous, or a supercharger, YOU ARE SLOW. 17 second 1/4 miles were never even heard of in the 60's when our grandmothers drove cars with 350+ cubic inch V-8's that could easily break into the 14's out of the factory AS A STATION WAGON. A 4-cylinder car w/ 130hp IS NOT A HOT ROD.

2) A car w/ Neons, big ugly wings, tons of stereo equipment, a million pounds of stickers... etc... IS NOT A RACECAR. You want to see streetcars turned racecars? NIRA or SpeedWorldChallenge, for two examples. Those cars are light, have rollcages for safety, have fully built racing engines, HAVE BREAKS THAT CAN SLOW THEM DOWN fast enough (how many kids do we know plop $5K down for a turbo kit on their Hyundai, then don't bother getting brakes / tires to slow them down from their inevitable doom?), have their interiors removed for lightness... these are racecars. You see any big body kits on those cars I mentioned? No... why? BECAUSE THEY'RE HEAVY! And also, they increase drag, which is bad, and makes you slow.

See any big fat exhausts on these cars? Nope... why? Because any exhaust on a 4-cylinder car that is over 2.5 inches in diamater IS A WASTE OF METAL and only makes noise!

3) The skill of a street racer is such:

a. You pull up to another poseur at a stoplight.

b. You give dirty looks at each other or you challenge that person to a quick race.

c. The light turns green, you go really fast... here's the hard part

d. You shift gears, you hold the car STRAIGHT, a little while later, you shift gears again, all the while you hold the car STRAIGHT, then... yep... you switch gears, but! You hold the car STRAIGHT.

e. Someone gets to the next light first without having killed themselves or the person next to them or the person who was crossing the street and they're a winner.

There's no skill involved in changing gears & driving straight, that's called FREEWAY DRIVING. Everyone changes gears & drives straight, often fast! I've street raced & 1/4 miled for a while now, a Jr. High School kid w/ an automatic can do it.

Now, tell one of your street racin' buddies to come down to an SCCA (Sports Car Club of America) Autocross in their respective towns and see what their swoopy winged, fart exhaust cars can do. These people are real drivers, or at least want to learn how to be one. They can do everything your 1/4 mile crew can do, often better, plus they know exactly how to handle their car in any situation. I really dont' have to even say much... go to the site & look at the videos in the gallery. True, its not a 9 second RX-7, and it doesn't "Look" that fast, but there are some vids w/ the camera inside the car watching the driver... you'll be impressed.

Yeah but could you imagine if one tried to?? All that body kit hanging off the car... those big wings slicing every cone that goes over the hood... that would truly be a holocaust.

:mischievous:

RICE = streetracin.jpg

Notice the guy on the left is in a HYUNDAI 4DOOR. That car couldn't be less sporty if you gave it a bike rack & a handicapped sticker. The one on the right is an Acura Integra, the only fast Integras are the GSR & Type R... and you dont do gay stuff to a Type R because they're expensive and rare, meaning that this is either the slow GS model or a GSR that someone massacred. See that huge body kit opening in the front? Yes there's a turbo intercooler in there... so he's probably got turbo work done on the engine... good... that means it will last him a year before it explodes. Lets see... he spent $18K on the car, $6K for the turbo kit, $2K on rims & tires, $4K on the body kit, $1K on the neon lights... that's about $31K... for that he could've bought a 2002 Mustang GT w/ 305hp & 320ft-lbs of torque that would've killed all of his friends out of the box.

RACE = LeoCapaldi.jpg

A true race car. No interior, race seats, everything lightened, race rims, racing engine completely built, suspension from hell, roll cage, breaks from hell... the real deal.

A 4-cylinder car w/ 130hp IS NOT A HOT ROD.

A car w/ Neons, big ugly wings, tons of stereo equipment, a million pounds of stickers... etc... IS NOT A RACECAR. 

A true race car. No interior, race seats, everything lightened, race rims, racing engine completely built, suspension from hell, roll cage, breaks from hell... the real deal.

i never said it was....

these aren't racin' cars, these are street racin' cars.

a car that had all of that shit has slicks, no interior, roll cage, and all that other crap makes the car lighter, and faster, and also not street legal. no doubt that those cars would kick the shit out of a street car, because their meant to... and that is why the are dubbed illegal to drive elsewhere.

i may have never watched autocrossing videos but i have watched offroad racing and that is some hardcore shit right there with professional drivers, driving like crazy.

your beatin' my balls chief... :D

IC - what the hell are you doing?!? you could at least said something about your ford f-150. you know, you could make that sucker pretty fast....

chief.... you were kinda harsh there, don'tca think? ok, true street racers can't touch the pros....

to back freebird, mustang is easily the choice for bang/buck on the racing scene. easily one of the easiest cars to effectively run the quarter mile under 10 without that big dent in the wallet that an import car would. the average joe might not know that. street cars have many things - ac, glass windows, etc.... body kits also have that visual appeal, nos, that straight forward speed... hey, if you got a street car, it might as well be fast and look good.

if i had the flow, i'd definately have a daily driver and a seperate tuned vehicle for kicks. and that's where that silly trade for beamer/benz comes in. those are so expensive... not true sports cars. sporty - yes. fast - no. if i had either i'd trade it in to get a real sports car. i mean, that's why we're here, right? (this is where you nod your head)

:D

Ok. I'm the first to admit that I don't know all that much about cars. This is mainly because until about 8 months ago, I never owned one.

There's no shame in souping up a car. If you're going to do it, you SHOULD research the effects it'll have on your car. (Especially killing your engine life and gas mileage...)

Personally, I hate driving a car that doesn't have any... well... a car without any balls. While I was trying to get a new car, I was borrowing a 87 Caddy with a BADLY tuned V-8 and 103,000 miles. Couldn't stand it.

But what a lot of people don't pay attention to is that racing has a lot to do with your car. No one won a race with a go-kart. The rest of it is being willing to really drive what you have, though. When I've raced, it's been a late-night, spur of the moment thing. And I'm racing for the fun of it. The speed... the competition... hell, I know it ain't Nascar, but it's fun anyway. And people riding with me were suprised when I'd WIN. (With the 92 Ford Tempo, mind you.) Most of the cars could've easily blown me off the road, had they been willing to drive their cars. Most of 'em were fucked off the line, 'cuz they tried to floor it and ended up spinning their tires.

I'm not a big fan of Mustangs.. not new ones, anyway. From what I've seen, the last few year's models won't hit their stride 'til they hit 40 or 50 mph.

I don't have any place to store pictures of the new car, but as promised, here's some info:

97 Monte Carlo LS

3.1L V6 engine

(Geeky engine info:)

Engine Description (L82) 3.1L 60 degree V6

Horsepower (HP@RPM) 160@5200

Torque (ft-lbs@RPM) 185@4000

Block Cast Iron

Heads Aluminum

Valves 12

Displacement 3.1L (3100cc, 191ci)

Cylinders 6, V formation, opposed 60 degrees

Bore 89mm (3.50")

Stroke 84mm (3.31")

Compression Ratio 9.5:1

(End geeky engine info)

If I work on it at all, I'll prolly just get her some better struts and MAYBE a supercharger... gotta look at it more carefully, though.

-DG

go figure, my car is the number one most stolen car in the nation.... i don't see why anyone would wanna steal it though, it must be real easy or somethin... if they were gonna waste the time to steal a car, you would at least they would go for something more classy, instead of my poor civic... ???

come to think of it, it was already broken into, but the fucker realized after he broke in that he 1.) i take my deck out, so there is no point in trying to steal a radio that ain't there, 2.) my car alarm was going off (no one was prolly looking anyways) and 3.) he tried to hotwire it, but i guess he was too dumb or too slow to follow through... i hate dumb people

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, not a big fan of most Chevy's... Monte Carlos were front wheel drive back in 97, right? I think they still are...

A 3.1L w/ no overhead cams gives up alot of power. Check BMW's 3.0 = 225hp, 200+ ft lbs of torque. GM does things the old fashioned was to save $$, cams are more expensive. Shit, look at the motor in the car I drive, SVT Contour... 2.5L = 200hp & 170 ft lbs of torque, its a different feel tho, likes to run high ended.

It's always cool to see someone who's put a turbo / supercharger on their car, that's mad $$ and power... but sometimes you start w/ a good sports car and end up w/ a shitty dragster b/c your gears are now too small to handle all that power, your shifting gears faster than flipping channels on your TV...

Archived