Hondo's Bar

Best Music of the 90s??????

You wanted the best and you got the best! How about it MLB!

I still stick by my Prodigy choices, something about the pimp vibe off 3 Kilos and the old skool rave of Wind It Up, but Voodoo People and No Good are class too.

SoF, this is just a taster of my powers, true in the real world you could smash an ashtray across my head but in this construct you are just a man while I, I AM NOW A GOD!!

Some good techno calls all around.

Havta check out High Noon, i love DJ Shadow's "Midnite in a perfect world", happy to see someone else mention Fluke as well.  I do agree with Yahven tho; Orbital's Halcyon + on + on deserves a higher spot.

Oh, and Chincane...i cant thank Spiffytee enough for introducin me to em.  SOF - youre dead on with Saltwater, only one i like more is called "Offshore", fuck its good. Any other good Chicane tracks? I hear they mixed BT's "Flaming June", another good one.

Cheers IC. I agree with you Offshore is class, its just something about the vocal sample of Maire Brennan that just makes it for me.

The Paul van Dyk mix of Flaming June is class, other great dance songs would be Hybrid - Finished Symphony, Timo Maas - UBIK, Paul van Dyk - For an Angel, William Orbit - Adagio for Strings (Ferry Corsten Mix), any other good ones that i've left out let me know.

:D

Another personal dance fave, '1st man in space' by All Seeing I.

I was the 1st man is space on our street

I had to leave the wife and kids behind

It was a chance I could not pass up on

It was the journey of a lifetime....

Few more nineties classics from the dark recesses of my CD collection (sorry if there is some repetition),

1. The Animalhouse - Animal

2. Ash - Girl from Mars

3. At The Drive-In - One-armed scissor

4. Beck - Devil's Haircut

5. The Beta Band - Dry the rain

6. Death in Vegas - Aisha

7. Deltron 3030 - 3030

8. Everclear - So much for the afterglow

9. Fungus - A fanclub would be nice

10. Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - Poodle Rockin'

11. Green Day - Basket Case

12. Hefner - Hymn for the cigarettes

13. Hole - Miss World

14. Idlewild - You just have to be who you are

15. Lemon Jelly - In the bath

16. My Bloody Valentine - Touched

17. Muse - Cave

18. NIN - Closer

19. Nirvana - Dumb (Difficult one to choose!)

20. No Doubt - Just a girl

21. Ocean Colour Scene - Riverboat song

22. Primal Scream - Swastika eyes

23. Prodigy - Voodoo People

24. Seafood - This is not an exit

26. Six by Seven - Eat junk become junk

27. Smashing Pumpkins - Cherub rock

28. Sonic Youth - Sugar Kane

29. Stereophonics - More life in a tramp's vest

30. Therapy? - Straight life

Just a small snippet of my musical musings. :D

It's the 1st time i've looked at this thread, fuck knows why 'cause most of my money goes on music (vinyl of course! the rest of my income goes on drink and tobacco, oh & other things like rent, etc). Anyway i'm glad someone got round to mentioning Beck And The Beta Band, good calls MLB! I am surprised however no-one has mentioned anything from Daft Punk's 'Homework' LP! Anyway, now i'll have to go and make a list myself now, if i was to do single songs however i might not get back to you all for a few months!!! Gimme a few days and i'll post a list of albums, that'll do!

This thread has potential....

NOTICE

I ask all DrunkenDeities members to submit 2 top 20 lists of their most prefered albums and favourite songs of the 1990's to top20@drunkendeities.com.  I shall then take all this information and make an easy to read graphical chart for visual comprehension.  You all have one week to create and submit these lists to the best of your abilities.  make sure the lists are IN ORDER of preference.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Hey Octodius! Do you mind if i only submit one top list for albums? If i was to submit a list for individual songs it would take me a year, never mind a week, LOL! Anyhow, i have managed to whittle down my LP selections down to 40, so i should be finished in a couple of days! Also i wouldn't mind knowing everyone's favoured choice of format?

Call me by various insults. Go ahead I care not but persoanlly I go for CDs.

There is a CD vs Vinyl debate that will always exist but I don't think they have to be polar opposites. Like Science and Religion, only ignorance sees these as strict oppositions

Vinyl definitely brings with it a higher collecting power, generally cooler sleeves and a sense of pride, but CDs have lasting power in its defence. Personally I want to be able to listen to my CDs in 30 years time with the same quality as now. Also, can you burn Vinyl? (Warning! Retorical question!)

V-Junkies I respect you but although an obsessive music collector and left-of-mainstream follower, you will generally find me pressing play rather than placing a needle.  :blush:

Vinyl's got its charm, but i never thought bout durability as a factor....its assumed hardcore collecters havta have records only.  I go for either, cant distinguish a real quality difference from what ive heard.

As for science & religion....guess im part o' that ignorance then, creationism & natural selection strike me as oil & water, but that's the kinda mess we handle in the Lyceum, i wont have it trickle down there. :darwin:

Octodius, ya really want best albums and best singles? That'll take folks a while.

Yes, either submit both lists or just one.  One cannot have too much information.  The final results are not set in stone until the graphs are out; this means if you submit and wish to change, you may resubmit a new list as long as it is before the deadline. (which remains to be set)

I have to say i buy vinyl when i can, i feel i get more for my money, but when i have to (when an album is only released on CD or is a hell of a lot cheaper) i don't mind buying CD's. You made some very good and valid points MLB, but i have to disagree slightly with the arguement of longevity. I have various LP's from The 60's that have surpassed the '30 year life span' ;) and are near perfect condition and play very well, i think as long as you look after them (regular cloth cleaning and needle changing, plastic covers) they can last as long as you want them too. Anyway, back to compiling THAT list!!! :approve:

PS- Where would DJ shadow be without vinyl? ;)

PPS- Just one other thought :D At the end of the day it really doesn't bother me, i was just curious to see if anyone still collected vinyl, but i remember listening to a Grateful Dead re-issue on CD at a friends and there was a large part in the album that sounded different from what i could remember (no, i wasn't stoned !) and sure enough when i listened to it again on vinyl it was different! I suppose the point i'm trying to make here is if you listen to something from a decade without CD's, where the music that was made was intended for vinyl, then it's probably best listened to on vinyl, but then an arguement against that is the expense of some originals! (Remind me to hide my Nick Drake & Tim Buckley CD's if you lot ever pop round, LOL)

Right, thats it! I have completed my list of top 20 LP's. Firstly though i have to tell you that it has been as difficult as hell! Secondly in order to come any where near completion i had to make a decision, The top 20 list i have compiled has been based purely on what i've been listening to in the past few months, so there has been a few eliminted because of that which normally would have been included without hesitation, but i had to start somewhere! So fans of the Beastie Boys, Nirvana, Happy Mondays to name but a few may be dissapointed! I was also surprised at the amount of early 90's music that i have got rid of, so the majority of this list consists   of latter 90's material. There was also a few i had to pull because i've found out that they were in fact released in 2000, of which i'm gonna start a new thread about! Please bear in mind that this list could change every day/week/hour from the time of posting! A copy of this list is on it's way to Octodious too. OK, here goes!

01:BECK-'MUTATIONS' (1998)

02:THE BETA BAND-'THE THREE EPs' (1997/98)

03:THE STONE ROSES-'SECOND COMING' (1994)

04:BECK-'MIDNITE VULTURES' (1999)

05:GOMEZ-'BRING OT ON' (1998)

06:IAN BROWN-'GOLDEN GREATS' (1999)

07:SUPER FURRY ANIMALS-RADIATOR' (1997)

08:AIR-'MOON SAFARI' (1998)

09:PRIMAL SCREAM-'VANISHING POINT' (1997)

10:DJ SHADOW-'ENDTRODUCING' (1996)

11:DAFT PUNK-'HOMEWORK' (1996)

12:SUPER FURRY ANIMALS-'GUERILLA' (1999)

13:BECK-'ODELAY' (1996)

14:THE BETA BAND-'THE BETA BAND' (19990

15:U.N.K.L.E-'PYSENCE FICTION' (1998)

16:MOBY-'PLAY'

17:PEPE DELUXE-'SUPER SOUND' (1999)

18:DEATH IN VEGAS-'THE CONTINO SESSIONS' (1999)

19:BOB SINCLAIR-'PARADISE' (1998)

20: BECK-'MELLOW GOLD' (1994)

And there it is, there was a couple of others i wanted to include such as Quannum Spectrum, which i'm not sure would be valid as i'ts by a collective and the compilations 'Source Rocks' And 'Super Discount'. Never mind, at least now i can get some sleep!!! :D

Cheers MLB! I know what your saying about the order of The Beck Albums, just that recently i've been playing 'Mutations' & 'Midnite Vultures' to death! I had to choose a way of compiling this list and the way i done it was by what i have been listening to recently, otherwise it would have been  harder to complete as, say, albums of originality, innovation, etc. If that had been the case, a similar list i drew up about six months ago, had 'Odelay' as Beck's best LP at number 2!

King I am glad to see that you like Bjork she is one of my fav's does anyone like Tori Amos she is awsome my fav album of hers is Boys for pele. HERE'S MY LIST!!!

1.  Bjork- Hyperballad and Army of Me

2.  Tori Amos- Father Lucifer

3.  Fiona Apple- Shadow Boxer

4.  Shania Twain- ANY SONG!

5.  JAY-Z- DYNASTY ALBUM

6.  Lauren Hill- Ex factor

7.  Biggie Smalls- One more chance

8.  Missy Elliot- she's a bitch

9.  Cake- I will survive! ( I love the fact that he did that song)

10. Da Brat- What Chu like

11. Busta Rhymes- he just rocks!

more to come I gotta run!!!

DA Judge, personally I think Midnite Vultures is okay (better live!) but I do think Mutations is Beck's most underrated album. It was released as a sort of "album to amuse you while you wait for the proper album to come along" type album, but the songs are amazing. Lazy Flies, and Cold Brains are brilliant.

Lazy flies all hovering above, the magistrate puts on his gloves and looks to the clouds, all pink and dishevelled. They must be some blueprint, some creed of the devil inscribed in our minds....

(Quite impressed with myself, haven't listened to it in a while and I can still remember the words)

:monkey:

Yo, The Bjork LP, that i always kinda liked was her first one, 'Debut' i think it was cheekily called! Not sure of the track listing as i only have a tape of it, you should be able to find it on the net no problem. Yes i totally agree with you, Beck is amazing live, especially the Midnite vultures material, phew! Seen him three times touring that stuff at Clyde Auditorium, Reading & Tin the park and each time it just got better! The song to hear live has to be 'Deborah', blew me fuckin away at Reading that did (the grass may have helped) ;) . As the album itself goes, 'We Live Again' & 'Nobody's Fault But My Own' are my faves and yes, it is a very underated album, it was getting called Becks 'white album' up here for a while! Also have to say, after seeing him live, i think he is the best performer/live act/gig that i have ever seen or been to, as close to a living legend as i'll see!?! (Air & The Beta Band came close, but not quite).

• 2 weeks later...

Singles in order of preference:

1. DJ Shadow - High Noon

2. Eels - Not Ready Yet :dissappointed:

3. Foo Fighters - Everlong  

4. Pixies - Dig For Fire

5. Idlewild - When I Argue I See Shapes

6. Orbital - Satan :D

7. Rocket From The Crypt - On A Rope

8. Les Rhythms Digitales - Sometimes

9. Lush - Hypocrite

10. Orbital - Halcyon  

11. Nirvana -Lithium

12. Prodigy - Wind It Up

13. Offspring - Self Esteem

14. Future Sound Of London - Papua New Guinea

15. Faithless - Insomnia :D

16. Supergrass - Richard III

17. Therapy? - Screamager

18. Depeche Mode - In Your Room

19. Scheer - Shea

20. Aphex Twin - Windowlicker :D

Albums to follow....when I've time!

:D I liked Cheif's selection much better than a lot of these I have no talent so I'm going to yell in to the mic while "carrying a tune" bands.  Some times you guys happen to nail a good one but for the most part they fucken suck.  Oh well people just like differnt things.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, so hard. I'm probably going to come up with way to many obvious choices, but here goes. I'm only doing one (maybe two if I can't decide) songs per band/artist to keep it simple.

311 - All Mixed Up

Ani DiFranco - The Million You Never Made OR Fuel

Barenaked Ladies - If I Had A Million Dollars

Beck - Loser

Ben Folds Five - Philosophy

Blind Melon - No Rain

Blur - Tender

Bush - Glycerine

Butthole Surfers - Pepper

Cake - Never There

Candlebox - You

Catch 22 - Day In Day Out

Collective Soul - December

Counting Crows - Round Here OR Einstein On The Beach

Cracker - Low

Cranberries - Zombie

Crash Test Dummies - Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm

Creed - One

Dave Matthews Band - Crush

Dream Theater - Metropolis (Part 1) The Miracle And The Sleeper

Eve 6 - Inside Out

Everclear - Santa Monica

Everlast - What It's Like

Faith No More - Epic

Fastball - Out Of My Head

Filter - Take A Picture

Flys - Got You (Where I Want You)

Foo Fighters - I'll Stick Around OR Monkey Wrench

Fuel - Shimmer

Garbage - Only Happy When It Rains

Goo Goo Dolls - Name

Green Day - Redundant OR Nice Guys Finish Last

Guns N' Roses - November Rain

Hole - Celebrity Skin

House Of Pain - Jump Around

Jane's Addiction - Jane Says (Live)

Korn - Shoots And Ladders

Lemonheads - If I Could Talk I'd Tell You

Lenny Kravitz - Always On The Run

Liquid Tension Experiment - (Anything They Did)

Live - Pain Lies On The Riverside OR White, Discussion OR Rattlesnake

Matchbox 20 - Real World

Meat Puppets - Backwater

Metallica - Wherever I May Roam

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - The Impression That I Get

Mustard Plug - Beer Song

New Radicals - You Get What You Give

Nine Inch Nails - Closer

Nirvana - All Apologies OR Dumb

No Doubt - Spiderwebs

Oasis - Champagne Supernova

Offspring - Bad Habit OR Have You Ever

Pavement - Cut Your Hair

Pearl Jam - Black OR Yellow Ledbetter

Pink Floyd - High Hopes

Pixies - Where Is My Mind

Presidents Of The United States Of America - Peaches

Radiohead - Karma Police

Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name Of

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Aeroplane OR My Friends

REM - Everybody Hurts OR Drive OR Losing My Religion

Right Said Fred - I'm Too Sexy

Rush - Dreamline OR Alien Shore OR Stick It Out OR Double Agent

Save Ferris - Come On Eileen

Seven Mary Three - Water's Edge

Sevendust - Denial

Silverchair - Tomorrow

Sister Hazel - Change Your Mind

Sleater-Kinney - I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone

Smash Mouth - Walking On The Sun

Smashing Pumpkins - Disarm OR Zero

Soul Asylum - Black Gold

Soundgarden - Outshined

Soup Dragons - I'm Free

Spin Doctors - Two Princes

Stabbing Westward - Save Yourself

Stereo MC'S - Connected

Stone Temple Pilots - Big Empty OR Creep OR Sex Type Thing

Sublime - What I Got OR Date Rape

Sugar Ray - Fly

Symphony X - Of Sins And Shadows OR The Divine Wings Of Tragedy

Temple Of The Dog - Hunger Strike OR Say Hello 2 Heaven

They Might Be Giants - Istanbul

Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life

Toad The Wet Sprocket - Walk On The Ocean

Toadies - Possum Kingdom

Tom Petty - You Don't Know How It Feels

Tool - Sober

Tragically Hip - New Orleans Is Sinking

U2 - One

Vast - Touched

Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony

Verve Pipe - The Freshmen

Violent Femmes - Blister In The

Wallflowers - 6th Avenue HeaSunrtache

Weezer - Say It Ain't So OR Undone (The Sweater Song)

Weird Al Yankovic - Albuquerque

White Zombie - Supercharger Heaven OR More Human Than Human

Yo La Tengo - Saturday

...he then realized either there are too many songs out there, or he likes too many of them.

That's probably way more than too many, but I hope it atleast brought back some memories for some.