Hondo's Bar

First Joey, now Dee Dee!

Another sad summer for punk, and it has nothing to do with the pop punk playing on Top 40 stations that reminds me more of boy bands than punk bands. Dee Dee Ramone died at 8:40pm on June 5th. Play 'Beat On The Brat' a little louder today, in his memory. A little 'The KKK Took My Baby Away' and 'Blitzkreg Bop' wouldn't hurt either.

Ugh, there's nothing wrong with pop punk, Ok? But if you're curious, I'll tell you MY problem with it though. Punk is, inheritly, not very musically complex. I like musicianship and complexity in my music, that's why I love prog rock above all other music forms, generally speaking (Rush, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Styx, Yes, Queensryche, Dream Theater, Frank Zappa, King Crimson, just to name a few). But, I can still appriciate other music that's not as complex for other reasons. Punk, has only one thign going for it, it's message.Sure, it can be fun and stuff, but in teh end, (true) Punk is about a message. The message of non-conformity and spiting in the face of society (as literaly interpreted by the Sex Pistols). When a punk band is mainstream and tries to appeal to the masses without that message, and they spend more time posing for poster of them half-naked (coughblinkoneeigthytwocough) than make music with that message, it is no longer punk, but pop trying to pass itself of punk, which really underminds punk. That, in a nutshell, is my problem with Top 40 pop punk. Do not feel the need to argue with me, because as I said, there's nothing wrong with pop punk, it's just my opinion, and I'm not pushing it on anyone, just laying it out as I see it. By the way, this is very similar to my feelings on rap/hip-hop. If it doesn't have a message or is lyrically inteligent, it's just mindless banter to a drumbeat and a bassline.

Guest Yahve

Pretty mindless banter and drumbeat      : Music

add good lyrics                                   : Songs

subtract mindless banter and drumbbeat  : Poetry

My fav category is good music, since im no scholar when it comes to history of musical development and don't really have time to sit down and appreciate songs.  I prefer music.  Something I can have running in the background that doesn't require much brain processing power cause it's currently directed at some mundane task i need relief from.

As for songs, I can only really appreciate easy to understand voices as my hearing is pretty much shit when it comes to sifting thru distortion.  without a lyrics sheet in front of me, great bands like Rage are wasted on me.  ( i read lyrics when listening to rage, they are that good :D )

Shame to see the Ramones go, I was lucky to catch them on a Vans Warped tour a few years ago, 90 something.  My friend was lucky enough to catch marc on the way out.  Nobody recognized him walking around the grounds like a normal guy (certainly hot me :D )  He scored himself an autograph.

See, i guess if you just want music as background to you're other activity, that's fine. And if you want to listen to a group so you can put up a poster of them half naked on your wall and say you listen to them, that's fine too (my 31 year old cousion Carlos still has his Apollonia* poster around somewhere :D ). If you want somethign you do have to think about and listening to will help you fit in, I guess that music has served it's purpose for you too. I guess it's all a matter of what you're looking for in your music.

PS I like Rage too, Yahve. If their lyrics weren't so great and message of angry wasn't so strong, they repeatativeness of them would really bother me.

I like a lot of the new punk, not really into old punk though I respect stuff like it or classic rock as the origins of the music I like. A lot of it can just be loud heavy rock (At the Drive-In - Rolodex Propoganda, Rocket from the Crypt - White Belt) and good but a lot are tuneful and musically complex as well (AtD-I - Quarantined, RftC - S.O.S.).

Can't say I know much of the Ramones aside from I Wanna Be Sedated but it's sad to see a good one go.

PS: How do the genre rules say Blink 182 are punk? That's one that gets me, I like em but punk?

Ain't nowt better mr. bagel.

Only came across that expression a few months back, before that I just called it "high knees" :D

"...And every misspent day I wouldn't have it any other wayyyy......"

C'mon people skank with me!

Is there some kind of Ramones anthology I can buy, can't really be bothered to buy a few diferent albums?

Well, not all new punk is sum 41 and blink 182.  Yes, most of the stuff on the radio is compelte shit.  I can't stand either of those bands, but lots of new stuff is great.  Less than jake remains one of my favortie punk/ska bands, Rancid is cool,  and emo is a pretty decent subgenre I've been getting into, Jimmy eats world is on the radio alot, and I actually think they're a good band.  There's also cool stuff like the Mr. T Experience, you could really name plenty of good new punk bands.

All true, but if you'll notice, I didn't bash all punk. I specifically said "pop punk playing on Top 40 stations that reminds me more of boy bands than punk bands". The Middle by Jimmy Eat World has been getting stuck in my head alot lately. Stupid catchy song...it's just takes to time...I'll just be walking along, happily humming and singing some Rush tunes, and then I hear The Middle and I start humming and singing that for the next half hour! Tuh! Everything, everyting'll be alright! Everything, everything'll be just fine!

Jimmy Eat World are pretty good althought their constant airplay is beginning to grate now.

Persoanlly I quite like Blink 182 (Sum 41 less so), but hell there are certainly bands who are better. Been listening to more Operation Ivy, Goldfinger are pretty good and NOFX rock pretty hard as well.

I didn't think Blink's Dude Ranch album was that bad (Damnit was a pretty OK song). I do like Green Day and The Offspring though, but I'm not sure if that's just because of the great memories of my youth, singing along and headbanging to Bad Habit (Hey man, you know, I'm really ok. The gun in my hand, will tell you the same. But when I'm in my car, don't gimme no crap, cause the slightest thing and I might just sanp so HEY!)

So Jimmy Eats World are Emo? Is it just me or are they only being called emo cause the singer closes his eyes and scrunches up his face when he sings, people thinking he's all emotional, but it's just another stupid way of singing (almost every frontman is different)!

The break in RftC - On A Rope, now that's emo.

Re: Left Eye dead in Hondorus

King Of Snake Posted on May 09 2002,18:55

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote (Irish Cowboy @ May 08 2002,10:27)

have we no respect for the dead?

Nope.   :D

...just thought this was kinda funny now, everyone thought it great to piss on/mock another dead musician outside of their taste, but here its a tragedy...

Anyway, whether or not i liked the Ramones beyond "Sedated", its sad to see a musician of any genre go, even if it was one of those interestin ones that too many people like Yahven couldnt find time to actually listen to.  

Guess ive caught onto people's limited musical scopes a bit lately, tried gettin both Dinghy & Yahven to listen to lil more than a verse of various rap songs, held their sad attention spans for about half that time.   ??? To each their own & alla that, i guess.  I just dont think people should profess to have a genuine love for music if theyre gonna be close-minded bout its origins.

How do you quote from another thread like that?

Anyway, I would recommend starting with hyprid music to ease your way in. I'm a rocker, so I think alot of what helped me appriciate the good rap (NERD, De La Soul, the Roots, Public Enemy) was by being eased into it with a little of the rap-rock. Faith No More, RHCP, Beastie Boys, Rage, Limp Bizkit's first album (Three Dollar Bill Y'all). Rush's Roll The Bones didn't hurt either. With Yahve, if I recall, I'd try stuff that is techno/hip-hop, or hipno, tech-hop or whatever they call it. Can't make any specific recommendations of dinghy, but I'm sure you cna figure something out.