Hondo's Bar

Sega Dreamcast

The NZA

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You know I realize I have enough bullshit accessories for my sega consoles. But since I'm thoroughly convinced that all the original console developers went to Microsoft , it mite take a lot to get me to buy a drag console if they ever came back.

Therefore, I went to my home in Philly this weekend and brought over my dc and realized how shitty the picture was in composite thru hd tv.

Then I found this thing. Stop me if you've seen this already:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXvXE-Nqr54

Has anyone bit the $ bullet tried this already?

I have not. I have one of the VGA adapters that I used in 2001 to make the Dreamcast absolutely mindblowing.

Hooks up to my TV and still looks excellent. Pixely, but excellent.

kinda salty because i tried 2 of these VGA things; both left me with a purple-y screen, back on the DLP which had a VGA input. the current plasma doesn't, so i tried a component converter, no dice either. i've kinda abandoned the project (ive read not all games will display on VGA?), but i might try this HDMI option sometime after getting a new receiver, as i'm fresh out of HDMI ports between PS3, 360 & PC.

yeah, it's always sad when modern tv's dont have archaic plugs in them; i sure wish i had your weak LCD, i bet it's got at least 3 RF switches

tested on an obviously inferior LCD at a friend's house, also no dice. good to know Sega clearly left the door open for real HDMI connections; DC = FUTURE-PROOF

I think you meant LED. And you're right, I'm totally jelly of your space heater plasma. It gets cold here in the winter, plus I have a really short memory. It would be really convenient if I could just permanently keep pleasing images burned onto my screen forever.

I was laughing at your HDMI ports though. My modern man TV has like 65 of 'em.

I dunno what the problem with your VGA cable is. Maybe it's a different model without the right adapter? Sucks regardless.

it's warm no doubt, but i get CRT-level dark levels (look em up! haha)...also, panasonic plasmas - second only to kuros, RIP pioneer - havent had problems with burn-in since the first bush era, man.

its cool you got more HDMI's though. i was gonna go with another model that had em, but this one has the best SD scalers on the market, and i do old-school gaming so that's important. technical things like that aren't gonna be a priority to people of your tastes, so i'm sure glad you have a box that emits lesser colors.

for real, if you're gonna mock, might as well pick the 2000 era receiver - it's got a fan on the back that spiffytee installed to keep it from blowing up. i think dolby DTS was hot new shit when it dropped, and the fancies port it has is digital optical which not even nintendo's touching next gen. i wanted to use it till it inevitably burned down my apt, but needing more HDMI's is as good a reason as any to get a new one with tons of inputs, i don't even have the PC on 5.1 right now and that's sad.

the VGA...the first DC prolly shat on it because i recall it was a japanese model a friend imported. the current one, i got no goddamn idea. i know why it woudlnt boot the homebrew shit (beats of rage etc) cause they dont support VGA, but sonic and other games do. i really wish the DC emulator scene didnt die a while back, it was really getting close to the level of system replacement that i look for when deciding to keep shit or not most times. honestly, if it was 100%, a big-ass drive of classics & a few USB hookups for DC controllers would've been fantastic.

LOL dood... Hdmi 1.4 has something called "deep color" to allow our pupils to dilate and take in the filet mignunz of beautiful colors... I notice how my dc looks faded as hell on my vizio but awesome as hell on my 200lb 40in plasma at home.

indeed keeps me warm and my parents go into. Sort of culture shock when they see the elec bill whenever I visit lol.

Edited by IceManML

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

...huh. i havent looked at the ends of my adapter in a bit, at least since hooking it up to a powered HDMI converter and hiding it behind my entertainment unit.

that's pretty cool though. still amazes me that Sega had a system VGA capable at that point in time, combine that with a bit've AA like they did and you've got a lotta games that age beautifully, for me.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...